Welcome to the new look of the AHS Athletics and Athletic Boosters website
The Boosters have been working on a re-design of this website and you may notice that some of the information has moved locations. Here are a few pointers in getting around the new site:
- The majority of the information is now driven by the main menu up top. The major items (Boosters, Athletic Teams and News) have their own submenus that will come up on the left-hand side. The lower, left-hand menu is where you can select the detailed pages you are looking for - such as specific Team or Boosters pages.
- Each Athletic Team now has it's own page that includes tabs for each of the Team Pictures, Schedules and various other content (as it is available). These tabbed pages take a few seconds to load since they go out to the external websites, so please be patient.
- As you scroll down the Home page, you'll find Quick Links on the left along with our corporate sponsor links, the current AHS athletic and booster news in the middle and, toward the bottom, you'll see This Week in Sports (which is provided by DigitalSports.com).
- The latest AHS athletic and booster news is not only here on the Home page but also on the page linked to the "News" menu's "Raiders News - Happening Now..." menu item. You will also find "News" menu items for Recent and Archived news items as well as sports results provided by Maxpreps.com (note that this was previously on the Home page but had to be removed since it was causing Home page readability issues on some devices). That the way news articles are viewed on this site may be adjusted over time as we find ways to make the current news easier to read as well as to maintain.
- In the upper right, you will notice a magnifying glass icon - this provides a Search capability across this site's content
The initial goal we had was get all the existing text content from the old site into this new site - this should be fairly complete. Now that the initial major re-design work is finishing up, we plan on adding a number of new features over the coming months like including more media in the form of pictures and videos of both the athletic teams as well as the Booster events and adding better support for mobile devices (Iphone, Android, etc). Others areas that we hope to expand on are faster performance, search engine (like Google) exposure and providing access to online registration - for example, Summer Camp registration. We know there will be some kinks to work out so please bear with us as we get the new site to a polished state.
If you really cannot find something on the new site (or are using mobile devices which may not be supported yet), the old, no-longer-maintained Athletic Boosters website can be found HERE. If you do need to use the old site for some reason, please use this website's Contact Us page to let us know what needs to be updated so we can make it available for you.
This site is best viewed with the Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer (newer versions) and Apple Safari browsers.
Known Issues at this time:
- Ipad/Maxpreps Sports Results
- On the IPad, the Maxpreps.com sports results "widget" is found to cause issues if it is on the site's Home page. This widget was on the Home page until the problem was discovered and has since been removed. This same Maxpreps information is available by selecting the "News" menu item up top and then you will find it in the left-hand menu.
- Iphone/Android support
- Also on the list of items is to setup better visual support for mobile devices like the IPhone and Android. There happens to be built-in support for them in the website system we have however there are some issues that will need to be worked out before that capability can be turned on. For now, it should view as a normal website in most cases but we have noticed that the Teams tabs don't function quite as planned. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes but this capability is definitely on the to-do list.
- Some pages take a little while to load
- While loading some pages, in particular the individual Athletic Team pages, it can take a little while to display the information to the user. Part of this is due to the fact that our new site has to pull in more information from external sites before our site can display it (like DigitalSports and Maxpreps are both used on the Home page as well as the Team tabbed pages). DigitalSports can be a little slow and most teams will have their schedules pulled from that site. This delay is pretty much out of our control since we rely upon the external sites so hopefully it isn't much of an issue.
- Note that any website that uses the Joomla Content Management System (CMS), like our site uses, will take a few more seconds to load than the old Boosters site. There is nothing we can really do about that either; there are many, many websites that use Joomla and the few seconds it adds is easily outweighed by Joomla's many benefits.
- Note that caching has also been turned on now so that helps speed things up as well and we of course will continue to work on improving the site performance over time.
- Sports and Boosters pictures are not on the site
There are some Joomla features (in particular the picture gallery component we were using initially) that can cause a large delay in page loads. We have disabled the picture gallery currently since it was causing such a big delay for the user. We are working on finding a more efficient picture gallery component and, when we find one that is fast enough, we will put the pictures back on site.
- FIXED: From Wednesday 3/28 to Friday 3/30 our website experienced technical issues affecting access to our host company's database. The problem has now been resolved; thank you for your patience as we worked through the issue and we apologize for any inconvenience.
- FIXED: Internet Explorer had issues with the Athletic Team's tab feature that our site is using; that should be resolved now.
- FIXED: added more user-friendly URLs in the address bar (like "atholtonboosters.org/athletics/teams"); initially this was causing the Main Menu's "Home" item to return to the default AHS (all) Boosters page. To resolve the issue, it was necessary to move this website under a subfolder called "athletics". The Athletic Boosters website is now located at: "http://atholtonboosters.org/athletics".
- Thanks for your patience as we work to correct the issues.
Main Menu items and What They Contain
- The Athletic Boosters Board & Committee points of contact
- Details on the various committees and Boosters fundraisers
- Also includes the AHS Hall of Fame page
- Athletic Teams
- Team Pictures and Schedules as well as Results, Standings and Statistics - as they become available
- Also includes information on Athletic team Try-Outs, Team Liaisons and Ask the Trainer
- Current AHS Sports and Boosters news articles as well access to the older, "archived" articles
- Also includes a menu item for full display of the Maxpreps.com AHS Sports News feed
- A list of the various AHS Athletics and Boosters documents
- Online forms as they become available on the site (for example, the Online Boosters Membership Form)
- Provides links to external web sites that may be of interest
- Contact Us
- If you have feedback suggestions for the website, this is where you can send an email to the Website Committee